Warning: Jakarta Demonstrations Could Become Violent
The upcoming relocation of the U.S. Embassy in Israel on May 14 may spark protests which have the potential to become violent.
The relocation from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, announced by President Donald Trump in December last year, has angered Palestinian leaders as it is considered to be symbolic support for Israeli control of Jerusalem despite the city having unique spiritual importance for other religions, particularly Islam and Christianity.
The U.S. government has warned that various organizations have scheduled demonstrations on Friday, May 11 starting at about 4:00 a.m. near the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta (Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan) and starting at 1:00 p.m. near the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya (Jalan Citra Raya Niaga).
The Embassy in Jakarta will close passport, notarial and visa services to the public on May 11 and will have reduced operations and limited staffing. The Consulate General in Surabaya and Consular Agency in Bali will be open for scheduled appointments. U.S. citizens who require emergency services should call the Embassy or Consulate General at the numbers listed below.
Actions to take:
Keep a low profile.
Be aware of your surroundings.
Review your personal security plans.
• See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings and Alerts, and Indonesia Country Specific Information.
• Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
• Contact the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta located at Jalan Medan Merdeka Selatan No. 3-5, Jakarta. The telephone number is +62-21-3435-9055/9054. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62-21-3435-9000 (press 0 for the operator). The American Citizens Services Unit of the Embassy email is JakartaACS@state.gov.
• Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Surabaya located at Jalan Citra Raya Niaga No. 2, Surabaya. The telephone number is +62-31-297-5300. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +62-81-133-4183. The American Citizens Services Unit of the Consulate General email is SurabayaACS@state.gov.
• Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada, or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
• Follow the U.S. Embassy on Twitter and Facebook.
• Follow the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs on Twitter and Facebook.