The Top Ten News Stories of 2021
Between the cruise shutdown, the grounding of a giant boxship in the Suez Canal and the uneasy situation in the South China Sea, 2021 was a banner year for news. The grounding of the Ever Given was far and away the most captivating story of the year, attracting about 400,000 page views over the span of 23 articles - about six percent of TME's total readership for 2021. As the cruise industry came to a halt, a substantial number of beloved classics went onto the beach for demolition, bringing back memories of cruising in an earlier era. Rescues, fires, sinkings and other breaking news rounded out the top-ten, and we invite you to have a look back over the full list of the year's biggest events (below).
- Report: Ever Given's Crew May Risk Arrest
- New Photos Show the Full Extent of the Damage to the Ever Given
- Video: Coastal Freighter Breaks Up at Anchor
- Pioneering Cruise Ship Arrives in India to be Scrapped
- Photos: Float Out of First U.S. Built Great Lakes Bulker Since 1983
- US Navy Saves Five Iranians from Burning Boat and Seizes $14M in Drugs
- 220 Chinese Vessels Stake Out Another Reef in Spratly Islands
- Ever Given's Owner Files Suit to Limit Damages, Declares GA
- More Pioneering Cruise Ships are Scrapping
- Photos: Australian Border Force Burns Illegal Fishing Vessels
Thank you for visiting The Maritime Executive for your news in these rapidly-changing times. Best wishes for the new year, and we're looking forward to providing you with the latest happenings and perspectives throughout 2022.