Passenger Ship Disabled off Massachusetts

By MarEx 2014-07-29 15:52:00

Update: The Coast Guard ensured the safe return Tuesday of the passenger vessel Cetacea which became disabled about 13 miles east of Nahant, Massachusetts, Monday at about 4:30 p.m.

Boston Harbor Cruises deployed divers aboard the Gateway Endeavor to attempt to free the propeller. Additionally, the passenger vessel Nathaniel Bowditch was directed to the scene to attempt to transfer the passengers.

Initial attempts by the divers to clear the line from the propeller were unsuccessful. Original reports indicated a lobster pot line was caught in the propeller, but further analysis revealed it was a cable from Northeast Gateway's offshore facility which required additional dive resources and heavy duty equipment for removal.

Considering the dangers of an at-sea night operation, a passenger transfer was deemed unsafe until morning. Meanwhile, Boston Harbor Cruises provided additional water, food and blankets to the passengers.

At about 5:20 a.m., divers aboard the vessels Bunker Hill and Scarlett Isabella freed the line from the Cetacea's propeller and the Tybee escorted the Cetacea to Boston. All passengers safely disembarked the vessel near 8 a.m., at Long Warf.

The cause of the incident is under investigation.


Coast Guard crews are assisting a disabled passenger vessel approximately 13 miles east of Nahant, Massachusetts, Monday.

Watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector Boston received notification at approximately 4:30 p.m., that the 83-foot passenger vessel Cetacea had a line entangled in its propeller and was disabled with 163 people aboard.

The Coast Guard Cutter Tybee, Coast Guard Cutter Escanaba, and a Coast Guard Station Gloucester, Massachusetts, small boat crew have responded and are on scene. The Escanaba is providing medical personnel to evaluate the passengers and crew for medical concerns and assist if necessary.

Boston Harbor Cruises has a vessel with divers scheduled to attempt to clear the line from the propeller Tuesday morning. The Tybee and the Escanaba remained on scene through the night to provide assistance as needed.

Weather on scene was two-foot seas with 11 knot winds.