Results of Offshore Wind Farms
Following a national public tender process, the French State has selected the group comprising GDF SUEZ, EDP Renewables, Neoen Marine and AREVA to install and operate offshore wind farms in the areas of Tréport (Upper Normandy, 500MW) and the Isles of Yeu and Noirmoutier (Pays de la Loire, 500MW).
The partners are delighted about the decision, which is testament to the quality, competitiveness and environmental scope of the projects as well as the group’s expertise – already involved in 25 offshore wind farms – and the dialogue undertaken with the regions. The success of these bids, presented with local players, supports the emergence of a French offshore wind power sector which will generate activity and jobs throughout the country and lay the foundations for international expansion.
Creation of two local companies and thousands of jobs in France
To promote integration and dialogue among all of the partners involved, GDF SUEZ, EDP Renewables and Neoen Marine have incorporated two local companies, one in Rouen (Les Eoliennes en mer de Dieppe-Le Tréport) and another in Nantes (Les Eoliennes en mer de Vendée) and have created a dedicated project team.
The two wind farms will create almost 6,000 direct and indirect jobs. Various local businesses – in the Grand Ouest (Poitou-Charentes, Pays de la Loire, Brittany, Upper Normandy, Lower Normandy) and in Picardy and Nord-Pas de Calais – will be involved in the manufacturing and installation of the components for the farms.
The choice of the new AREVA 8MW wind turbine will allow for increased productivity and enhanced performance, with a 40% reduction in the number of turbines and greater compatibility with fishing activity. This wind turbine also offers the advantage of cutting construction time and optimizing wind farm maintenance.
- 2014-2015: Ongoing information and dialogue with the public and local stakeholders, technical and financial feasibility studies and detailed environmental studies
- 2014: Beginning of the Research & Development activities in the new R&D center in Rouen
- 2015-2017: Gradual selection of suppliers, principally of foundations, electrical sub-stations and installation and maintenance services for the wind farms
- 2018: Manufacturing of 8MW AREVA wind turbines to begin in Le Havre
- 2019-2021: Construction of the wind farms in the two areas
- 2021: Commissioning. Operation and maintenance shall be undertaken out of the ports of Dieppe and Tréport for the Tréport wind farm and out of the ports of l’Herbaudière and Port-Joinville for the Isles of Yeu and Noirmoutier farm.
The products and services herein described in this press release are not endorsed by The Maritime Executive.