APL Seeks Operations Manager
APL is seeking a new Operations Manager for supporting its fleet of nine U.S. Flag container vessels operating in international trade.
The position includes management and system administration of the fleet Learning Management System (LMS) and Incident Response iOS application and to assist in the development of future Computer Based Training (CBT) courses and additional iOS applications for the office and fleet to increase efficiency and reduce administrative tasks aboard the ships.
The Operations Manager’s position will also assist the Quality Manager/Designated Person Ashore when assigned, and will act as a back-up System Administrator for the NS5 purchasing and maintenance software system.
This position is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
• Training – System Administrator for Learning Management System and Incident Response iOS application. Developing additional Computer Based Training courses and iOS applications for the fleet. Assist in managing semi-annual Senior Management Conferences and other shoreside training courses. Design, create and implement shoreside and shipboard training programs and courses to ensure compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and corporate objectives.
• Regulatory Compliance – In cooperation with the Deputy Director of Operations, ensuring that all ships are operated in full compliance with regulatory and environmental requirements of all countries where the ships operate. Awareness of new regulatory and environmental requirements and communicating these to the fleet and management. Recommend the most cost effective method and potential technology solutions for meeting new regulatory requirements, including recommendations for changes in operational/ engineering procedures and SQEMS procedures and documentation.
• Incident Response and Drills – Assist in drill and exercise design and completion. Organize and track all government approved incident plans and approval letters including NonTank Vessel Response Plans, Salvage and Marine Firefighting Plans, Shipboard Marine Pollution Emergency Plans, NTV Alternative Response Plans, California Nontank Contingency Plans, and Qualified Individual agreements. Document and track completion of all required response exercises and drills for USCG/EPA PREP. Member of the APL Maritime Incident Response Teamthat supports successful resolution of marine incidents, accidents or near miss investigations.
• Fleet Operations – Implementation of regulatory requirements for hardware and software for navigation, cargo and ship ops. Assist Deputy Director Operations as necessary.
• NS5 – Act as back-up System Administrator as for Senior Analyst, Fleet Information to manage NS5 fleet purchasing and maintenance software system as required.
SQEMS – Assist the Quality Manager/DPA with SQEMS maintenance and managing safety and loss control processes, including ISM/VGP/Security/Biofouling/MLC internal auditing, in line with continuous improvement, as assigned.
• Regulatory Compliance
• Incident Response and Drills
• Fleet Operations
• NS5 System
• Bachelors degree; Marine Transportation and/or Maritime Business, Additional training in Auditing, Investigation, Training and Instructional Design required.
• USCG Unlimited tonnage/Any Oceans COC and MMC required.
• Shipboard operational and office supervisory or management.
• Knowledge of Marine Operations from shore-side and shipboard perspectives.
• Understanding of International regulatory requirements including SOLAS, MARPOL, ISM, ISPS, MLC, STCW Codes.
• Understanding of US regulatory requirements including applicable portions of titles 29, 33, 46, 49 Code of Federal Regulations.
• Knowledge of NIMS ICS required.
• Proficiency in ABS Nautical Systems 5 (ABS NS5) at Administrator level.
• Leadership, team building and supervisory skills necessary to facilitate the success of team, including shipboard management teams, company staff and customers.
• Communication Skills – Ability to effectively communicate at all levels of shoreside and shipboard management and labor.
• Teamwork – showing a commitment to teamwork and collaboration.
• Respect – extending dignity and respect to all people.
• Integrity – fostering trust and positive work environment.
• Innovation – bringing creativity to the workplace.
• Customer Focus – achieving Company, department, and personal goals through a strong customer focus.
• Computer literate – proficient in MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher, Adobe Acrobat, Captivate, TWIC Required.
APL is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Female/Disabled/Protected Veteran/Gender identity/Sexual Orientation.
Applications may be submitted online at http://aplinfo.apl.com/about/html/jobsearch_app.html. Alternative application methods are available for individuals who are unable to use or access our online application system. For assistance, please contact us at Applicant_Assistance@apl.com.
The products and services herein described in this press release are not endorsed by The Maritime Executive.