North Korean Submarine Test-fires Ballistic Missile

Kim Jong Un

By MarEx 2016-04-07 19:36:47

NK News reports that North Korea attempted the launch of a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) from a Sinpo-class submarine on Wednesday.

The submarine returned to port after a few hours, which South Korean experts believe indicates the attempt was a failure.

The South Korean Defense Ministry refused to confirm or deny the claim.

“All we can say is that our military, with the close cooperation with the U.S., is keeping an eye on North Korea’s SLBM development trends,” an official said during a press briefing.

The exact location of where the event took place has not been publicized.

North Korea’s latest successful SLBM launch took place on May last year.

Earlier this week it was announced that North Korea can mount a nuclear warhead on a medium-range missile. A South Korean official made the statement on Tuesday in a new assessment of the capability of a country that conducted its fourth nuclear test this year.

"We believe they have accomplished miniaturization of a nuclear warhead to mount it on a Rodong missile," said the South Korean official, who has knowledge of South Korea's assessment of the North’s nuclear program. The official spoke to a small group of reporters on condition of anonymity.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said last month that his country had miniaturized nuclear warheads to mount on ballistic missiles. It was his first direct statement of a claim often made in state media though never independently verified.