624

Views

Maritime Accidents, Collisions & Casualties July 15, 2010

12 barges and fishing boats, sunk, run aground, 1 dead , several missing

As typhoon Basyang hit Luzon waters off the west coast of Manila, at least 12 barges and fishing boats were sunk and run aground, killing a ship captain Tuesday night. Several fishermen were reported missing.

The ship captain identified as Efren Ledesma died of hemorrhage after he hit his head after he jumped off his barge Tuesday night in Petrochem Pier in Lamao, Limay town. The captain ordered his men to abandon their ship by jumping off into the rough water, he hit his head hit a big stone on the ground.

A total of 6 barges ran aground. Two of the barges carried Industrial fuel and LPG. Authorities are trying to contain any leaks that may occur to prevent environmental damage.

Scuba divers have been sent to the rough seas of Limay and nearby Mariveles to conduct rescue on the six fishermen who were reported missing.

The fishing vessel M/V ALICIA was sunk and 6 crewmembers--identified as Leoncito Omdad, Mercelo Avila, Bong Fajardo, Jun Barbarona, Apad Capilean and one Alyas Toto, all of Navotes, Metro Manila-- were still missing. The boat is owned by Armando Cahinding of Navotas.

Another Tugboat and two barges loaded with wheat products coming from ATI in Mariveles port also sank off the waters of Mariveles after they were hit by giant waves brought about by strong typhoon Basyang.

Two more barges identified as Siment and Manila also sank in the waters in Mariveles while another barge named High Line 28 ran aground and damaged the portion of a boulevard in Poblacion, Mariveles town.

Fishing vessels named Almighty and Jehovah owned by one Amadeo Pangilian were also sunk along the waters of Mariveles. And the F/B Angelika, with 16 passengers on board, sank off Manila Bay, only eight of the crew were rescued by a passing Australian vessel M/V Anagel Pride near Lokanin Point in Bataan.

In Planters pier in Lamao, a Motor Tanker George also ran aground. The barge carried Industrial fuel oil which might spill in the seas.

The PCG prohibited a total of 32 vessels, 29 motorized bancas and 167 rolling cargoes from sailing.

Maritime Union of Australia takes action after Appleton Dock worker death

The Maritime Union of Australia shut down the 27 POAGS docks at ports around Australia from midday Wednesday after a third dock worker was killed on the job this year.

The 40-year-old was killed at Appleton Dock in Port Melbourne after a three-ton steel beam fell on top of him around 9.15am (AEST).

The father of two from Dingley Village was rigging a steel drum to a lifting device with the steel beam. Worksafe Victoria inspectors believe the hydraulic jacks failed to operate in unison, causing the beam to fall on the worker.

The MUA says this is the second death at POAGS wharves this year and the third fatality at Appleton Dock in seven years.

POAGS is a major supplier of stevedoring and port management services.

Since the deaths of two dock workers earlier this year, the MUA has lobbied the government for national regulations and called for stronger terms of reference for the Safe Work Australia Stevedoring Temporary Advisory Group.

A POAGS spokesman said safety at its sites was "consistent with national industry standards and complies with all relevant legislative requirements".

POAGS said the stoppage at its 27 ports would delay the loading and unloading of 15 vessels.

WorkSafe Victoria is investigating the accident.