Concordia Wreck Gives Up Another Body
Divers searching the wreckage of the Costa Concordia cruise ship on Tuesday found remains of a body thought to be one of the two missing victims.
The search for the two passengers still classified as missing resumed on Sept. 24th when the vessel was stabilized and hauled into an upright position. Previously, there had been several places on the wreck had been submerged and inaccessible to divers, but the salvage efforts have made the search for the two bodies a top priority.
The body, found near the third floor deck, was believed to be that of Russel Rebello, an Indian waiter and married father of two. Because the body from the 2012 crash was reported to be in an advanced state of decay, results of the victim’s identity cannot be confirmed for several days. Rebello's family have told of how the 33-year-old Mumbai native stayed on the ship to help evacuate others at one point even giving up his lifejacket so that other passengers could get to safety.
"I have been waiting for this news for 21 months... We hope that the other lady will immediately be found," said Rebello's brother Kevin.
The only other person still missing is Italian passenger Maria Grazia Trecarichi, who was aboard the Concordia to celebrate her fiftieth birthday with teenage daughter Stafania.
The ship's captain, Francesco Schettino, is on trial for his role in the disaster that lead to the deaths of 32 passengers. He is accused of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship. His lawyers argue he was not the only person to blame for the accident.
The ship is due to be towed away from the Mediterranean holiday island next spring and broken up into scrap. (Reporting by Naomi O'Leary, editing by Gareth Jones)
© Reuters 2013 with contributions from MarEx