588

Views

Six Poisoned by Carbon Monoxide in Log-Loader Fire

log
ISO Stevedoring log loading operations (file image courtesy ISO Ltd / Facebook)

By MarEx 2018-05-01 18:08:00

[Brief] Authorities in New Zealand are investigating a fire in a cargo hold at the Port of Napier that left six longshoremen with carbon monoxide poisoning.

On Monday night, employees from longshore company ISO Stevedoring were working in the hold of the geared bulker Nord Yilan with a piece of heavy equipment designed for loading logs. Its turbo blew, according to Fire and Emergency New Zealand, sending fumes and exhaust into the hold. The crew reportedly removed the unit from the hold before fire and rescue responders arrived. 

Two of the victims were held overnight at a local hospital, and all have since been released. 

“We are disappointed that an incident has happened on our port. As the landowner, Napier Port takes a strong interest in the safe practice of companies operating on our site," said spokesperson Viv Bull in a statement. 

Maritime New Zealand inspectors have visited the scene and have launched an investigation. As of Tuesday, the Nord Yilan remained at the pier in Napier, according to her AIS signal.