Job Opportunity: MARITIME INDUSTRIES ACADEMY HIGH SCHOOL
Full-Time Position Available: INSTRUCTOR of MARITIME STUDIES.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Maritime Industries Academy is an urban public school in Baltimore, Maryland that serves approximately 600 students in grades 9-12. The Academy is initiating a maritime instructional program that will offer courses in maritime studies, shipboard operations, intermodal transportation, maritime law, navigation, business, and maritime affairs. This program will be implemented over the next four years.
The Maritime Industries Academy will be moving to its new campus during the summer of 2009. The new location is 5001 Sinclair Lane Baltimore, MD 21206. Maritime Industries Academy will be housed in two of four buildings located on a large campus with tennis courts and a football field.
The Maritime Industries Academy invites applications for a full-time faculty position. This is a teaching position that will require curriculum development, maritime program coordination, and direct instruction to students.
• Assist in teaching the 9th grade introductory course, “Maritime Professional Studies”.
• Develop and manage courses that will comprise the Maritime Studies Program.
• Instruct and assist in instructing in other maritime courses as developed.
• Participate with the school faculty and administration to integrate appropriate maritime material in other academic courses.
• Assist in administration of USCG student MMD documentation program.
• Participate and instruct in the maritime jobs and intern program.
• Assist with the student apprentice program.
• Supervise and accompany students on field trips both ashore and afloat in connection with the maritime curriculum.
• Bachelor’s Degree in an appropriate discipline related to maritime studies such as marine transportation, oceanography, engineering, or naval architecture.
• Excellent communication and leadership skills.
• Skilled in the use of computer based office/business applications (i.e. Microsoft Office)
• USCG License as Third Mate or Third Assistant Engineer
*Exceptional candidates who do not meet minimum qualifications may be considered with significant maritime experience.
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience in teaching primary and secondary students with ability to successfully manage student behavior.
• Teaching experience in maritime subjects
• Advanced merchant marine license Second Mate, Second Assistant Engineer or higher
• Sail training experience
• Commission as Reserve Officer USCG or USNR
• Masters degree
• State teaching certification
SALARY /COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with the education and experience of the individual. The current full-time salary is $XX,XXX for individuals meeting qualifications and may go higher based on additional qualifications.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK: A background investigation is required prior to employment. Applicants must possess criminal background and child abuse clearances and must provide proof of U.S. citizenship, or eligibility to work in the United States.
* Candidates filling the position will be granted emergency teaching certification and must complete full certification within two years to be retained in the position.
BENEFITS: The Maritime Industries Academy offers a broad range of benefits for its employees including medical, dental, vision, and retirement. The academic calendar provides generous vacation time.
APPLICATION INFORMATION: Applicants for the position are to submit a letter of interest, resume, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three (3) professional references.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All applicants selected for interview will be notified of the interview schedule. Those not selected for interview will be notified after the position closes and the successful candidate has been selected. Additional information may be obtained by calling: Joy Pinder Savage, principal
5001 Sinclair Lane, Baltimore, MD 21206 410-396-0242
Send application documents with appropriate address, telephone number either by email, Fax or regular mail to: email@example.com/410-396-0085