FMC Suspends Operations Due to Federal Government Shutdown
Commission functions suspended until further notice
The Federal Maritime Commission is closed effective Tuesday, October 1, 2013 as part of the federal government shutdown due to a lapse in the current fiscal year appropriations. The Commission will resume normal operations when appropriations legislation is enacted and the federal government reopens.
With the exception of the Chairman and four Commissioners, who are Presidentially-appointed, Senate-confirmed officials, all Commission employees have been placed on furlough and are prohibited by law from performing any duties during the shutdown. As a result, all Commission functions have been suspended, including the following:
- The Commission will not respond to email or phone inquiries.
- The Commission’s website will be available during the shutdown, but it will not be updated with new
information until operations resume.
- The Commission will not accept online filings or applications through its website for the following:
- Service contracts through SERVCON;
- OTI applications through the Automated OTI Application (FMC-18);
- Tariff Registration Forms (FMC-1).
The Commission will not accept filings during this period for:
- Ocean carrier or marine terminal operator agreements or amendments;
- Applications for certification of financial responsibility for cruise lines embarking from U.S. ports; or
- Agreement monitoring reports, minutes, or transcripts.
The Commission’s online databases: SERVCON, the VOCC and NVOCC Tariff List, List of FMC Licensed and Bonded OTIs, and the Agreement Notices & Library will not be accessible.
The Commission will not accept or act on complaints, requests for dispute resolution services, nor ombudsman services.
The Commission will not be available to address issues regarding cruise vessel operations or sailings.
All filing deadlines in formal and informal adjudicatory and investigatory proceedings pending before the Commission or Administrative Law Judges have been stayed as of midnight September 30, 2013. No filings will be received during the shutdown. Upon reopening of the federal government and the Federal Maritime Commission, the public is welcome to contact the Office of the Secretary, 202-523-5725 or firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions about computation of time in proceedings or filing deadlines.
We regret any problem or inconvenience this shutdown may cause. The Commission will resume normal operations upon enactment of appropriations legislation.