North Korean Missile Test Fails

USS Carl Vinson
file photo: USS Carl Vinson

By MarEx 2017-04-16 20:58:51

U.S. President Donald Trump is reportedly not considering military action after a failed ballistic missile launch by North Korea on Sunday.

The United States, its allies and China are working together on a range of responses, says Trump's national security adviser H.R. McMaster.

"It's time for us to undertake all actions we can, short of a military option, to try to resolve this peacefully," he said on ABC's This Week program. "We are working together with our allies and partners and with the Chinese leadership to develop a range of options."

McMaster added: "There is an international consensus now, including the Chinese leadership, that this is a situation that just cannot continue."

The Trump administration is focusing its North Korea strategy on tougher economic sanctions, possibly including an oil embargo, a global ban on its airline, intercepting cargo ships and punishing Chinese banks doing business with North Korea, Reuters reported last week, citing U.S. officials.

The North Korean missile blew up almost immediately after its test launch on Sunday, the U.S. Pacific Command said.

Hours later, U.S. Vice President Mike Pence landed in South Korea for talks on the North Korea situation.

North Korea has threatened massive nuclear retaliation in response to any provocation by U.S. forces, promising that it will "not miss a chance to sweep the imperialist group with a nuclear fire of justice,” according to state media.

The U.S. Navy recently dispatched the USS Carl Vinson carrier strike group to waters near the Korean peninsula.

North Korea has already conducted five nuclear tests and a series of missile launches, including one on April 5. The nation is believed to be working to develop nuclear-warhead missiles that can reach the U.S.

Trump tweeted on Sunday that the U.S. is building up its military forces.